Thursday 12 July 2007

Waiting For The Sun


Reckon I'm getting the hang of this now. Short sentences are the key.

Been a couple of days since I last posted. In that time have continued to fill void time with film, television and music. I am plugged into the world. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly was an undisputed classic I watched for the first time, and is clearly one of the best films I've ever seen; in contrast Kundun seemed a bit stale, Scorsese at his most patronisingly simplistic. Pretty, but maybe not much more.

Far more satisfying was watching François Truffaut's Le Dernier Métro yesterday. This, I think, is in part because I have always been somewhat underwhelmed by Truffaut's films. His part in the French New Wave of the 60's has always seemed overpronounced; as much as I enjoyed Les Quatre cents coups and Jules et Jim, I've never thought they had the same revolutionary bite as Godard's Bande à part or Resnais's L'année dernière à Marienbad. And the less said about the frankly terrible Fahrenheit 451 the better.

So Le Dernier Métro was a very pleasant surprise. Witty, exciting and well acted with strong characters, it had all the things I thought Truffaut's earlier films lacked. This is not a review, and I'm not going into the plot details, but the film concerns a theatre in occupied Paris in the 1940s, and follows the lives of the various characters involved. Part of me knows that the film lacks the invention of Les Quatre cents coups or the intelligence of Jules et Jim, but it was the first film of Truffaut's that I have warmed to, which in this case was a very good thing.

No comments: