Tuesday 25 September 2007

Hello? Oh...


A sample of some of the phone calls I've had to deal today. And yes, this post is named after a song. Its by the Cribs....

Me: Hello?
Caller: Hello?
Me: Hello? Who is this?
Caller: Yes.... Yes, I'd like to speak to Susan please?
Me: Susan?
Caller: Susan Merkelville.
Me: I'm sorry, I think you've called the wrong number.
Caller: My glasses are broken.
Me: I think this is the wrong number, sorry.
Caller: Oh....
Me: Goodbye, then.
Caller: Yes.
Click.

...

Me: Hello?
Caller: Congratulations! Your household has been specially selected by the Spanish Lottery and you have won a timeshare house in Austr-
Click.

...

Me: Hello?
There is a long silence.
Me: Hello? Is anyone-
Caller: Yes, hello, sir.
Me: Yes how can I-
Caller: Yes, sir, I am today to tell you if I can have a moment of your time that you have a telephone?
Me: Er, yes I do have a telephone, obvious-
Caller: It is a mobile telephone that you currently are in use of using to phone your friends and relatives in HRZZFFFRRRRRTTHH!!! sir?
Me: I'm sorry?
Another long silence.
Me: I'm sorry, are you selling something, please?
Caller: My name is Sharon and I would like to tell you that your Virgin mobile is now owned by-
Me: I don't have a Virgin mobile.
Caller: Which mobile do you have, sir?
Me: I'm sorry, I'm not willing to disclose that; I'm going to hang up now.
Caller: My name is Sharon and I-
Me: Sorry, goodbye.
Caller: If you'd just -
Click.

...

Me: Hello?
There is a long silence.
Me: Hello?!
Some piano music starts playing.
Me: You ring me up and put me straight on hold?!?!
CLICK.

...

Me: Hello?
There is a pause.
Me: Hello?! Who is this?!
Caller: Hello?
Me: Oh, hi Grandad...

4 comments:

Little Dik-Dik said...

Awww!! Your poor grandad almost got cut off...!

Cold callers are so annoying, there should be more to dissuade them than the TPS. It's those long silences after you pick up the phone that really gets my goat.

CQ said...

Yes well actually his call was just as annoying, but thats a story for another post...

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry my call disturbed you. lol

CQ said...

You must be the Spanish lottery. I never really understood how someone in the UK could have entered it by accident really...