Saturday 27 October 2007

Devil's Haircut


I am frequently perplexed by Russell Brand. Anyone outside the UK who is reading this is probably thinking "Who?" - so I'll explain a little.

Brand is Britain's most current comedian, and by that I mean - without passing judgement on his level of fame or ability - he is certainly the most iconic of the crop of comedians to come to prominence in recent years. Sporting ridiculously large hair, women's jeans and a permanent colour scheme of "black and more black", the sex-maniac and reformed heroine addict uses a Dickensian wit combined with a delight in controversy to great effect.

I subscribe to his (incredibly popular) BBC Radio 2 podcast, having done so since he abandoned 6Music, and usually listen to it at night, stifling the laughter that always escapes me by forcefully cramming a corner of duvet into my mouth. Over an hour of hilarious interviews and tangential rants, and featuring weekly staples such as the phonecall to Noel Gallagher, and imploring China to "get out of Tibet!", its a dizzying mix of high- and low-brow humour, with a healthy dash of left-wing politics.

Which is more than can be said of Brand's new programme on Channel 4, Ponderland. Television has never been Brand's strong suit. While Big Brother's Big Mouth was a great forum for his fiery banter, The Russell Brand Show, a sort of mutant talk show, was a disaster (witness the painfully dull interview of Matt Lucas and David Walliams of Little Britain fame).

Ponderland is even worse. With no sideman to play off, the programme is simply a monologue delivered by Brand to camera, with occasional interludes in the form of stock footage from the pre-VCR era, mostly public service announcements or cheap documentaries. Brand rambles incoherently on such sweeping subjects as "Romantic Love" and "Childhood and Adolescence", and the audience, presumably dosed up with laughing gas, or maybe just on a day trip from the lunatic asylum, roar with laughter to the most banal of puns.

There is the odd moment of genius. Brand phones his own father to ask him to grade the colour of his genitalia using a paint samples board, on the basis that "dad's have browner willies". But generally you sit there praying for Brand's sparring partner Matt Morgan to turn up, and give the entire thing a little grounding. He does not.

A true original, it remains to be seen how far into the future Brand's career will stretch. But I sincerely hope that any future forays into television comedy can capture the brilliance of Brand's unique radio work. Brand can excel in a loose format, but needs to be tethered down occasionally, or God help us all.

6 comments:

Little Dik-Dik said...

I very much like your choice of song title to accompany this post. I do wish he would cut his hair every once in a while. Or even just brush it. Either would please me immensely.

I too find myself suffocating with laughter when listening to Brand on the radio. On BBBM, he was rather funny - though sometimes he went a little far unnecessarily, like when the whole race thing blew up on CBB for instance. I couldn't stand to look at him though, so I'd often be pottering around and listening to the debate with my back to the TV, or whilst reading Teletext.

All in all, if Brand were to wear clothes that fit him and brushed his hair once in a while, I think I might dare to watch him on TV. His new show sounds preposterous though, and I'm glad I'm in a position not to be exposed to it in any way at the moment.

Oh, and as an aside, do you think that Amy Winehouse may be modelling herself on Russell Brand? There's the hair, the drug addiction, the foul mouth...

CQ said...

Teletext! Blast from the past!

Actually you're right about Winehouse. The highlight of his self-titled show was her giving him a gift of an action figure, which she had cleverly stored in her luscious hair. Smart

Little Dik-Dik said...

Yes, Teletext is a prominent feature of the television experience chez moi. Some of us live in areas that are still black spots for cheap digital TV. We don't even have channel five on normal terrestrial, and we can only get S4C, when we should be able to get Channel 4 as well.

God help us come digital switchover time...

Anonymous said...

Can't say I ever heard of him until now.

CQ said...

Rose - I guess he hasn't really done anything outside of the UK, so I'm not surprised you've not heard of him. I think he's moving into films though, so you might be subjected to him at some point...

Original indeed...

Anonymous said...

Same as me, I´ve never heard a word about him, but for sure now, im gonna ask someone and in the utube!!! cheers