Saturday 18 August 2007

Sawdust & Diamonds


If I have ever been more distant from the real world than I was this afternoon, it is a time I cannot remember. Lying warm in the sun with a cool ginger ale, and Joanna Newsom's Ys pulling me by the ears into a mythical world of meteorites and diamonds, I slipped completely into another state. No care in the world but as to when I should cool off in the pool. Phone call this morning soothed a worried pain.

Newsom's so-called "child-like" voice, actually thrillingly controlled and trained, breathing over harp and string, is one of the most enchanting sounds I have ever heard. And her lyrics are startlingly different to most modern songwriting in any form;

The meteorite is the source of the light,
And the meteor's just what we see.
And the meteoroid is a stone that's devoid
Of the fire that propelled it to thee.

And the meteorite's just what causes the light,
And the meteor's how it's perceived.
And the meteoroid's a bone thrown from the void
That lies quiet in offering to thee.


Five minutes shy of the end of the album my batteries cut out. Like being pulled out of the lake by a hook on a string. Kicked by a badger in the eye. Poked in the eye by a low-flying fountain pen. Annoyance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Read your post and realised I hadn't finished putting all the music you gave me on the computer. So been listening to Ys this afternoon and guess what- I think I finally 'get' Joanna Newsom! Not sure why I find 16 min songs easier to listen to than normal length ones but there you go. . .